I recently saw an article that listed the best restaurants and food in Naples, Italy. Of all the places we have been, this city has the absolute best Italian food we’ve had anywhere (of course…it’s Naples, home of the Napoleon pizza!)–and as I read through the article I didn’t recognize any of the names of the restaurants it recommended. So, it gave me a thought and that is where this blog is coming from. This year of travels, I’m going to include the restaurants we go to that I think are amazing.
So, here I am digging back into my memories of our travels last year trying to remember the memorable places we ate at. There are actually quite a few that stick out as amazing. Bellow, you will find a list of restaurants that I would highly recommend to anyone visiting the areas those restaurants are in.
- If you’re looking for what, I believe, is the best pizza in the world, head over to the heart of Naples to a little hole in the wall pizzeria called Pizzeria Concettina ai Tre Santi. This little piece of heaven was recommended to us by our Airbnb host and we were not disappointed. Their pizza was absolutely the best pizza I have ever had in my life! FYI: the staff doesn’t speak much English and the menu is in Italian, but they are very friendly and broken Spanish/Italian words and arm motions work wonders :).
- As for Paella–oh man! The best place we’ve found is at a small restaurant in Palma de Mallorca called Peix Vermell. Paella will never taste right after coming to this amazing restaurant (and this isn’t even the area paella is originally from)! Reservations here are highly recommended!
- If you’re looking for a memorable evening and you are in Lisbon, head down to Alfama and check out Restaurante Esquina de Alfama Fado. Enjoy some traditional Portuguese food called Cataplana de Marisco while local musicians entertain you in the traditional Portuguese style of Fado music. It is quite the memorable experience!
- If you find yourself in Paphos, head over to Hondros. It’s tucked a little bit off the main tourist strip and they have wonderful hummus and pita bread. If you are in the mood for a good Greek meal, check out Hondros.
- When we were in Dubrovnik we were quite disappointed with food inside the city walls–but then we discovered two wonderful gems outside the walls that I would highly recommend. One is called Peppers Eatery. They have wonderful cocktails, their food is tasty, and the ambience–romantic but also family friendly. The second one I would highly recommend is Pantarul. Their food is fantastic and if you decide to come here, make sure you make a reservation.
- If you find yourself in London and you are craving some authentic Greek food–we found a fun little restaurant in Camden called Daphne. Their food is fantastic and their service wonderful!
Only a few of the restaurants have websites, so you can click on them and be directed to their sites for more information. I was bummed about the ones that don’t–but maybe that means those are less touristy, thus you get more of the local feel.